Cutting through the Black Canyon on the Western Slope of Colorado, and only 10 miles from the Ross Reels factory, the storied Gunnison river inspired the name for one of the most iconic, reliable, and best-selling fly reels ever produced.
As a tribute to the original aesthetics, the Gunnison is designed with octagonal machining, round porting, and a leader groove on the frame. That is where the similarities part ways, as the new Gunnison represents the best in modern reel design while retaining all the reliability and ruggedness of the original.
While the unique frame geometry and spool profile echo the original Gunnison, the contemporary porting and large arbor design make this a modern, bulletproof package with retro styling. The Gunnison also has a high-performance drag based on the same platform as the new Evolution LTX, creating a reliable and powerful system impervious to the elements.
At the end of the day, replacing what was the favorite (and in many cases the first) fly reel of so many anglers was a daunting task. These were huge shoes to fill, but the new Ross Reels Gunnison has risen to the occasion.
- Truly unique machined frame and spool reminiscent of the original Gunnison
- Machined canvas phenolic handle reduces weight and adds grip
- Frame / Spool made from a 6061-T6 proprietary aluminum alloy made specifically engineered for Ross Reels
- Based on the stacked-disc system found in the Evolution LTX, creating extreme pressure in a small package
- Fully machined for increased strength and easy left-hand to right-hand retrieve conversion
- Perfect balance of classic Gunnison design, modern machining, and technology
- Limited Lifetime Warranty